Monday, June 22, 2009

Thing #2 - Image Generators

I have tried Wordle before so I looked at Wordsift. I chose to use an article in Britannica Elementary on Dolphins. I had difficulty bringing the image here, guess I've been out of the game too long! I did manage to bring the wordle. Wordsift was interesting with its links and pictures. The pictures were oddly attributed though. One link took me to a real estate site. I bet there's a lesson there! The pictures were easy to grab, (easier than the wordsift image), but I'm sure they weren't "free for the taking."
Wordle: Dolphin craze



I have played a little with VoiceThread which I love. I have never gotten to complete a project since I don't have a captured audience, guinea pigs, etc. and haven't been able to capture a teacher into it...yet. My ideas were Book Reviews, using a jacket image and have others record their thoughts, and a 5th grade project with the people they are supposed to know something about. Glogster was fun and my daughter and I created this in the 20 minutes before the bus came today. She had just finished her dolphin project for school so the pictures and facts were still on the computer and fresh in her mind. I see good things coming out of this since there is a class component. I did not get to explore this...yet! Question about different thinking...the opportunity for links, which we didn't use, certainly changes the product from a traditional poster. Content, busyness, flow of info - that all stays the same as stuff to think about but the links and movies and sounds add a new layer.

On to Voki since I just used Animoto to send Father's Day Greetings to my dad! I had created a meez once upon a time so it was time for a voki.




I have been away too long or they've changed the rules but I am having a hard time getting things to show up. I finally put the voki on the sidebar and then when I posted, lo and behold, my voki, in the post as well. So, now I've edited and removed the side bar Voki because one Voki may be too much.

I felt the choices were more limited with the voki but they'll probably grow. A quick way to send a message that would get someone's attention. Homework reminders, due dates, meetings (did I say that?), invites, Have a nice day, Book Fair, New Books, book reviews, etc.


Bookr - Neat idea. Frustrating execution. Did it twice, it seemed like it never saved it. So I decided to emplore the archives, and ta da there were our 2 books. Oy. wait, not so fast, there were the covers of our 2 books but no guts. Double Oy. I'll have to see if other beachcombers actually were successful with this one. I'm feeling stupid. Thing #2 took about 4 hours total and I was already familiar with half of it!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I like your bookjacket idea using voicethread. I liked the idea of voicethread, but couldn't think of how to use it with the kids. I felt the same way with Bookr, and wonder why I couldn't look up my own pictures. If it is linked to Flickr, they should have a sign in option. Maybe they will continue to work on it.

VWB said...

cute little voki...glasses are a special touch!

can't wait till we can once again work on stuff f2f and not just virtually