Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Thing #16 - Wiki

I was once asked to teach others about wikis. I try not to let people down but I didn't know what a wiki was. As mentioned before, I love the Common Craft Show but I noticed that their wonderful explanation wasn't created until May 2007. I was struggling to understand it earlier that year. The light finally dawned between a TLA PreConference given by Michelle Boule and Gary Wan and another TLA session by Michael Stephens and Jenny Levine in April 2007.


So I have played with wikis. I find the hardest part is getting others to play with you. This summer I began 2. Just today I got my most techy teacher to come (finally) and be shown how to add to one of them. She has participated in that she sends me stuff to add to it but now she has the power. (She's had the power all along but now may know how to use it).


I liked the idea of the Summer Reading Club wiki. It would be fun to have librarians and teachers participate in this so we can all catch the good books! I'll have to go back and investigate the must have graphic novels from the teacher-librarian wiki but I didn't like that every "post" was a new page. At TCEA, there was a presentation on Google Maps where they used a wiki for their 3 classes so that there was enough info to use even if a student missed a day(just go to the other class' page) AND the wiki provided a web location for the pictures that were saved to it which is necessary in order to use them in Google maps.

Enjoyed the Hong Kong school (Library Zone) that had podcasts and movies to go with their wiki work! I noticed many used wikispaces but I have found wetpaint to be fairly user friendly. I created a table and was able to paste it in but it is limiting. It's still easier than DotNetNuke which the district wants us to work with.

So, my goal is now to get others to wiki with me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too was reluctant, but now that I learned today that expanding tables is possible in pbwiki, I am rarin' to go another one!