Monday, February 11, 2008

Things 24 and beyond

Just returned from TCEA and I'm still digesting what I heard and saw. A lot of attention to blogs and wikis but I wanted to list here a few of the other things that caught my attention. I haven't had a lot of time to play with them yet so a listing is not an endorsement, just an note to take a look. Of course, you'll probably need to sign up for a free account or two!

Mixbook - make a digital book. Look at the World War I book by a high school class.

Kerpoof - digital storytelling in cartoon format. You pick a background, pick characters, tell them what to do. I played a little bit, it would take more but the kids would would probably be faster! There's a section for Fairytales.

Gcast - Haven't has a chance to look at this myself. The presenter said it was podcasting over the telephone so the kids were able to podcast straight from their field trip in real time-ish. They called, spoke and the podcast was up for others.

Flickr-storm - This allows you to search Flickr, select photos to put in your tray and then it gives a URL so that the students can be focused only on the photos you selected for the project. You can filter the flickr photos first by non-profit so you have the creative commons permissions.

Scrapblog - Another way to present info using your photos, text and voice if you choose. Haven' t had achance to play with it yet but the presenter said it was easy enough to use with his young daughter. You can embed your project but not download. Meet the teachers? Welcome to 3rd grade?

I'm sure I haven't done these programs justice in my quick explanations. There were many, many more of course and many of the more are listed on presenter Randy Rodgers website.

2 comments:

The Man in the Middle said...

TH,

All of this just boggles my little mind. I can remember going into the newspaper office to get papers for my route, and watching the old men on the linotypes with the lead type. We come a long way! Not always sure it's progress.

Grendel said...

Thanks for sharing! I didn't attend TCEA--and haven't for the past few years--so I appreciate knowing some of the cool stuff you brought back for the rest of us!