Saturday, February 16, 2008

Thing #18 - Open Office, Google Docs

Obviously, the main thing about Microsoft Office is that we're already comfortable with it. But I switched from Mac in the late 90's I guess I could switch again. As Grendel experienced, it did take a LONG time to download so I don't think it was a computer issue.

OK, the writer (word processor) functioned much like Microsoft but I loved that inserting a picture did not bring up the drawing canvas which I hate! It was much more flexible. I found the presentation module, Impress, a little less intuitive and I wasn't impressed. Granted, I have access to Powerpoint. If I didn't, maybe I would be raving about Impress. Since I don't love Excel to begin with, I wasn't expecting much from calc. It seemed to work the same in as far as I use it. I don't calculate or run formulas so someone else will have to test that.

Now Google docs seems to have an interesting twist. I guess wikis would achieve the same thing but I'm going to pass it on to my father who does newsletters for various groups and does end up waiting for the work of others.

No comments: